Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First chemo

Had my first chemo yesterday, Aug 3rd. The plan is for 6-8 infusions, 3 weeks apart.

I am having the R-CHOP chemo regimen:

Rituximab - A monoclonal antibody that attaches itself to cancer cell

Cyclophosphamide - nasty stuff
Hydoxydaunorubicin (actually Doxorubicin) - more nasty stuff
Oncovin (actually Vincristine) - more nasty stuff (hair loss club for men)
Prednisolone (actually Dexomethasone) - 4 pills per daythis week - a steroid, I'll be hittin em outta the park!

Thinking it might be my last dinner, Roberta and I splurged at Red Lobster the night before. Reported in at 8:00 Am. Big infusion room with about 20 big recliner chairs and 5 nurses. The nurse "pushed in" two of the drugs and then started a slow 4 hour drip of the Rituximab to see how I would react. Just mild drowsiness, very mild sore throat for 1/2 hour. Then finally one more drug for half and hour. Next time it will all take about 2-3 hours. They gave me an assortment of about 12 pill to counter IV side effects (stuff like benedryl). Drove back to Pagosa in the PM. Stropped for a nice Mexican small meal. All I felt was "mellow" probably from the Benedyrl. Good night's sleep.

The nurses were great, the whole team, including my oncologist have been there for about 15 years!

They aparrently computre your body mass index from your height and weight to adjust your volume of drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment