Saturday, July 4, 2009

Gotta have my TV!

On June 29th Roberta and I reported for surgery. I first checked into a pre-op unit where they steal my clothes and get me ready to be wheeled off. Spent about and hour there. Then some folks came and got me and wheeled me down to the holding area in he surgery area. Anesthesiologist waas training a med student to do install the IV. She missed twice. The anesthesiologist then tried and missed.....then a med Dr came by and got it immediately. It's standard protocol for the surgeon to pop in and MARK you as to where the surgery will be. I sad that I had not seen the surgeon yet.....there was lots of calling back and forth because the surgeon thought he HAD been by. So, he finally showed up and informed me that I could lose all bowel and/or sexual function or I could die! I'm thinking .... "and this is only for a biospy!"
The next thing I was aware of was that I was in a ward recovery room.....Yahoo, still alive!......
The first thing I noticed was that the TV didn't work. Roberta joined me and said that the surgeon had told her that the surgery was a total success. The nurses showed me the magic morphine button that I could push myself. I complained about my TV and the nurses said they'ed move me right away. That was about 5:00 PM. When I came out a a haze about 9:00 Roberta was there. I was really pissed at no TV now and was ready to storm out of there. I called and complained again. The nurses moved me to the next room about 15 minutes later!
I pushed the morphine button 13 times the first night......don't remember watching TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment