Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bones "What they do back in the 20th Century is sheer butchery Jim!"

So anyway...........after the useless surgery in May, I ended up scheduled in the GU clinic for the second surgical biopsy try. There are a couple of surgeons that come over from UNM and perform surgery in the VA GU clinic. These surgeons specialize in cancer and can do lots of laproscopic surgery. Yahoo! I went down for a consultation in GU, first with a senior surgeon. Looking at my record for the very first time, he looked at the results of the bogus biopsy and proclamed that "maybe we should be redirecting you towards Infectious Diseases." I was compelled to inform him that "no, it has already been shown through 2 PET scans that I Do have 2 clusters of 2-3 cm tumors that have grown to 3-4 cm in 3 months. He turned and dug a little deeper into the records and said "yes, we probably need to to get in there and get a good sample soon!" He then got me scheduled to see the UNM surgeon later that day who fortunately happened to be there doing some procedures. While I went off for blood work and nursing pre-opt checkout, the UNM surgeon waas able to stop by and take a close look at my PET scans. When I finally met with him he proclaimed that the tumors where in locations far ro risky for laparoscopic surgery, and that he would do open cut surgery. It was a big relief to finally be talking to someone who seemed able to make the right decision. AND he was a skilled cancer surgeon! (A message of mine will always be that you MUST be involved in your medical decision making)

No comments:

Post a Comment